[hep-th] First announcement: Bled 2003 workshop 'What comes beyond the Standard model' (fwd)

M. Blagojevic mb at phy.bg.ac.yu
Mon May 5 12:54:39 CEST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:42:08 +0200 (CEST)
From: Norma Mankoc-Borstnik <norma at dioniz.fiz.uni-lj.si>
To: ...
Cc: norma.s.mankoc at ijs.si
Subject: First announcement: Bled 2003 workshop 'What comes beyond the
    Standard model'

The FIRST announcement of the sixth workshop organized by Norma Mankoc
Borstnik, Colin Froggatt and Holger Bech Nielsen

Dear colleague,

This letter is the first announcement of the sixth workshop entitled

       "What Comes Beyond the Standard Model?"

which will take place at Bled from 18 th of July to 28 th of July
2003, just after the Euroconference on Symmetries Beyond the Standard
Models, the first conference in the series of conferences titled
''What Comes Beyond the Standard Models''. The conference will take
place in hotel Histrion in Portoroz, Slovenia, from 12 - 17 of July
2003. More information about the conference can be found on

http://www.esf.org/euresco/03/pc03190

Our workshop is organized for the purpose of answering some of the open
questions in the electroweak Standard Model like:

  o   Why has Nature made a choice of four (noticeable) dimensions while
  all the others, if existing, are hidden? And what are the properties
  of space-time in the hidden dimensions?

  o  How could Nature make the decision about the breaking of symmetries
  down to the noticeable ones, coming from some higher dimension d?

  o  Why is the metric of space-time Minkowskian and how is the choice of
  metric connected with the evolution of our universe(s)?

  o  Where does the observed asymmetry between matter and antimatter
  originate from?

  o  Why do massless fields exist at all? Where does the weak scale come
  from?

  o  Why do only left-handed fermions carry the weak charge? Why does the
  weak charge break parity?

  o  What is the origin of Higgs fields? Where does the Higgs mass come
  from?

  o  Where does the small hierarchy come from? (Or why are some Yukawa
  couplings so small and where do they come from?)

  o  Do Majorana-like particles exist?

  o  Where do the generations come from?

  o  Can all known elementary particles be understood as different states
  of only one particle, with a unique internal space of spins and
  charges?

  o  How can all gauge fields (including gravity) be unified and
  quantized?

  o  Why do we have more matter than antimatter in our universe?

  o  What is our universe made out of (besides the baryonic matter)?

  o  What is the role of symmetries in Nature?

  o  What is the origin of the field which caused inflation?

The aim of the workshop is to bring together physicists, who are
trying to find the answers to some of these and other open questions
from the field of the elementary particles and cosmology and who would
enjoy to actively discuss the above questions in a small group.

In the last four years we organized four workshops entitled ``What
Comes Beyond the Standard Model?" They took place annually in July
since 1998.  Each year we spent ten days, trying to answer these
questions in a very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere. One proceedings
is published and Volumes I and II of the second are now published as
well.

The Physical Society of Slovenia, together with the Mathematical
Society, owns a house, whose owner was the well known mathematician
Josip Plemelj. This house can accept 16 people in 8 rooms. It also has
a lecture room for around 20 people. Bled is a nice town by the lake
of the same name, surrounded by mountains, with many comfortable
hotels.

The workshop is organized by the Primorska Institute of Natural
Sciences and Technology and the University of Ljubljana, FMF,
Department of Physics.  We have asked the European Physical Society
and the Slovenian Ministry of Education, Science and Sport to sponsor
this workshop. The workshop is sponsored by the Slovenian National
Committee for Physics, DMFA, Department of Physics, FMP, University of
Ljubljana.

ONE PAGE CONTRIBUTION
We kindly ask you to send a one page contribution to the workshop
until the end of May 2003.

SUGGESTIONS FOR DISCUSSIONS
We also ask you to write in a few sentences the suggestions for the
open problems, which you are prepared to lead the discussions for, or
you suggest the discussions about.

PRESENTATIONS
It is planned that in the first two or three days everybody will
present her or his work in a one hour talk. In the rest of the
workshop we shall discuss the open problems.

------------------------------APPLICATION FORM-------------------------
SURNAME........................................
FIRST NAME.....................................
TITLE (Mr., Mrs., Dr., Prof.)......................
MAILING ADDRESS................................
PHONE..........................................
FAX............................................
e-mail.........................................
CITIZENSHIP....................................
PASSPORT NUMBER AND DATE OF EXPIRY.............
DAY, MONTH AND YEAR OF BIRTH...................
ARRIVAL (day, hour; plane, train, car).........
Would you like to stay in the Plemelj's house, sharing the room with a
colleague?  YES........(please suggest the name)
Would you prefer to stay in a hotel?(single room costs approximately
80 EUR per night) YES......

TITLE OF TALK.................................

The registration fee, which will include all the expenses, if living
in the Plemelj's house, will not exceed 450 EUR. We shall be able to
pay travel and living expenses to a few participants from the Eastern
countries, who are not able to come otherwise.

Please let us know, if you need a letter of invitation from the
organizing committee either for your institute/university or for a
visa application.

We shall send to all the participants a map of Bled (you will find the
map also on " http://www.fiz.uni-lj.si/bled2003bsm/" ). We recommend
that you bring appropriate shoes for trekking and mountaineering .

We are looking forward to meeting you at Bled.

Norma Mankoc Borstnik, Holger Bech Nielsen, Colin Froggatt

The list of suggested participants:
1.	R. Ablamowitz (rablamowicz at tntech.edu)
2.	D. Ahluwalia (vahluwa at cantera.reduaz.mx)
3.	Borut Bajc (Borut.Bajc at ijs.si)
4.	Lars Bergstrom (lbe at physto.se)
5.	Don Bennett (bennett at nbivms.nbi.dk)
6.      Loriano Bonora (bonora at sissa.it)
7.	Milutin Blagojevic (mb at phy.bg.ac.yu)
8.	Wilfried Buchmuller (buchmuwi at desyvax.desy.de)
9.	Marcus Cohen (marcus at nmsu.edu)
10.     Abdel Djouadi (Abdel.Djouadi at cern.ch)
11.	Savas Dimopoulos (savas at squirrel.stanford.edu)
        (Savas.Dimopoulos at cern.ch)(savas at leland.stanford.edu)
12.	Valeri Dvoeglazov (valeri at cantera.reduaz.mx)
13.	Recai Erdem (erdem at likya.iyte.edu.tr)
14.	Paul H. Frampton (frampton at physics.unc.edu)
15.	Bojan Gornik (bojan.gornik at fiz.uni-lj.si)
16.	David Gross (gross at itp.ucsb.edu)
17.	Guang-jiong Ni (gjni at fudan.ac.ch)
18.	L. Hannibal (hannibal at uni-oldenburg.de)
19.	Gerard 't Hooft (g.thooft at fys.ruu.nl)
20.	Jaime Keller (keller at servidor.unam.mx)
21.	Astri Kleppe (KLEPPE at nbivms.nbi.dk)
22.	Larisa Laperashvili (larisa at vitep5.itep.ru)
23.	Karen Ter Martirosyan (termarti at vitep5.itep.ru)
24.	Rabindra Mohapatra (rmohapat at physics.umd.edu)
25.	Roman Nevzorov (nevzorov at heron.itep.ru)
26.	Zbigniew Oziewicz (oziewicz at math.cinvestav.mx)
27.	Silvio Pallua (pallua at phy.hr)
28.	Matej Pavsic (matej.pavsic at ijs.si)
29.	Ivica Picek (picek at phy.hr)
30.	Matjaz Poljsak (matpoljsak at ijs.si)
31.	T. Pradhan (pradhan at beta.iopb.stpbh.soft.net)
32.	Marcos Rosenbaum Pitluck (mrosen at roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx)
33.	Leszek Roszkowski (l.roszkowski at lancaster.ac.uk)
34.	Mitja Rosina (mitja.rosina at ijs.si)
35.	Svend E. Rugh (rugh at nbi.dk)
36.	Norberto Salinas (norberto at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu)
37.	Hergen Scheck (hergen.scheck at desy.de)
38.	Ivan Shushpanov (shushpan at heron.itep.ru)
39.	D. Singleton (das3y at maxwell.phys.csufresno.edu)
40.	Berthold Stech (b.stech at thphys.uni-heidelberg.de)
41.	Hanns Stremnitzer (STREM at Pap.UniVie.AC.AT)
42.	Yasutaka Takanishi(yasutaka at ictp.trieste.it)
43.     Michael Turner (m.turner at oddjob.uchicago.edu)
44.	Steven Weinberg (weinberg at physics.utexas.edu)
45.	Julius Wess (Julius.Wess at physik.uni-muenchen.de)
46.	Richard Woodard (Richard.Woodard at cern.ch)
47.	Marek Zralek (zralek at us.edu.pl)
48.	Colin Froggatt (c.froggatt at physics.gla.ac.uk)
49.	Holger Bech Nielsen (hbech at nbivms.nbi.dk)
50.	Norma Mankoc Borstnik (norma.s.mankoc at ijs.si)
51.     Qair Shafi (shafi at bartol.udel.edu)
52.     Roy Alexan (aleksan at hep.saclay.cea.fr)
53.     Enrique Alvarez (enrique.alvarez at uam.es)
54.     Ignatios Antoniadis (Ignatios.Antoniadis at cern.ch)
55.     John W. Barrett (jwb at maths.nott.ac.uk)
56.     Michael McDuff (mduff at umich.edu)
57.     Roman Jackiw (jackiw at lns.mit.edu)
58.     Dmitri Kazakov (kazakovd at thsun1.jinr.ru)
59.     Elias Kiritsis (kiritsis at physics.uoc.gr)
60.     Wolfgang Kummer (wkummer at tph.tuwien.ac.at)
61.     Fedele Lizzi (Fedele.Lizzi at na.infn.it)
62.     John Madore (John.Madore at th.u-psud.fr)
63.     Lev Okun (okun at heron.itep.ru)
64.     Eliezer Rabinovici (ELIEZER at vms.HUJI.AC.IL)
65.     Alfred Wassermann (Alfred.Wassermann at uni-bayreuth.de)
66.     Kumar Narain (narain at ictp.trieste.it)
67.     Pavle Saksida (pavle.saksida at fmf.uni-lj.si)
68.     Ronald Mirman (sssbb at cunyvm.cuny.edu)