[hep-th] kaloper,seminar

Maja Buric majab at phy.bg.ac.yu
Thu Oct 9 09:18:28 CEST 2008

Cvele, moze li seminar u cetvrtak, 12 ili 11, kako mislis?
Jer Nemanja javlja da ima obaveze u petak

Geometric Precipices in String Cosmology

 Nemanja Kaloper

Abstract: We consider the effects of graviton multiplet fields on
transitions between string gas phases. Focusing on the dilaton field, we
show that it may obstruct transitions between different thermodynamic phases
of the string gas, because the sign of its dimensionally reduced, $T$-
duality invariant, part is conserved when the energy density of the universe
is positive. Thus, many interesting solutions for which this sign is
positive end up in a future curvature singularity. Because of this, some of
the thermodynamic phases of the usual gravitating string gases behave like
superselection sectors. For example, a past-regular Hagedorn phase and an
expanding FRW phase dominated by string momentum modes cannot be smoothly
connected in the framework of string cosmology with positive sources. The
singularity separates them like a geometric precipice in the moduli space,
preventing the dynamics of the theory from bridging across. Sources which
simultaneously violate the positivity of energy and NEC could modify these
conclusions. We provide a quantitative measure of positivity of energy and
NEC violations that would be necessary for such transitions. These effects
must dominate the universe at the moment of transition, altering the
standard gas pictures. At present, it is not known how to construct such
sources from first principles in string theory