[hep-th] seminar u ponedeljak 21.08.

Branislav Cvetkovic cbranislav at ipb.ac.rs
Thu Aug 17 16:56:56 CEST 2017

Postovane kolege,

U ponedeljak 21. avgusta na Institutu za fiziku u 11 h Vitalij Vancurin
sa Univerziteta u
Minesoti ce odrzati seminar pod naslovom "Covariant Information Theory
and Emergent Gravity". Apstrakt
vam prosledjujem u nastavku.

                           Pozdrav Branislav

Abstract: Informational dependence between statistical or quantum
subsystems can be described with Fisher matrix or Fubini-Study metric
obtained from variations of the sample/configuration space coordinates.
Using these non-covariant objects as macroscopic constraints we consider
statistical ensembles over the space of classical probability
distributions or quantum wave-functions. The ensembles are covariantized
using dual field theories with either complex or real scalar fields
identified with complex wave-functions or square root of probabilities.
We argue that a full space-time covariance on a field theory side is
dual to local computations (defined in terms of parallel computing) on
the information theory side. We define a fully covariant
information-computation tensor and show that it must satisfy
conservation equations. Then we switch to a thermodynamic description
and argue that the (inverse of) space-time metric tensor is a conjugate
thermodynamic variable to the ensemble-averaged information-computation
tensor. In the equilibrium the entropy production vanishes and the
metric is not dynamical, but away from equilibrium the entropy
production gives rise to an emergent dynamics of the metric. This
dynamics can be described by expanding the entropy production into
products of generalized forces (derivatives of metric) and conjugate
fluxes. Near equilibrium these fluxes are given by an Onsager tensor
contracted with generalized forces and on the grounds of time-reversal
symmetry the Onsager tensor is expected to be symmetric. We show that a
particularly simple and highly symmetric form of the Onsager tensor
gives rise to the Einstein-Hilbert term. This proves that general
relativity is equivalent to a theory of non-equilibrium (thermo)dynamics
of the metric which is expected to break down far away from equilibrium
where the symmetries of the Onsager tensor are to be broken.

--
Institute of Physics Belgrade
Pregrevica 118, 11080 Belgrade, Serbia