[hep-th] Seminar Fizickog fakulteta u sredu

Branislav Cvetkovic cbranislav at ipb.ac.rs
Fri Jun 21 12:35:58 CEST 2019

Postovane kolege,

moio bih vas da obratite seminar koji ce biti odrzan naredne srede na
Fizickom fakultetu.

             Pozdrav Branislav

Sreda 26. jun 2019. u 13h na Fizickom amfiteatru, sala 661, Studentski
trg 12, III sprat

Dr Vitor Cardoso, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, Lisbon
Title: Testing GR with GWs

Abstract: Two pivotal breakthroughs in physics recently turned
respectable centennials: the discovery of the Schwarzschild solution,
describing a non-rotating black hole, and Einstein's prediction of
gravitational waves. Gravitational waves offer a unique glimpse into the
unseen universe, and allow us to test the basic tenets of General
Relativity, some of which have been taken for granted without
observations: are gravitons massless? Are black holes the simplest
possible macroscopic objects? do event horizons and black holes really
exist, or is their formation halted by some as-yet unknown mechanism? Do
singularities arise in our universe as the outcome of violent
collisions? Can gravitational waves carry information about the nature
of the elusive dark matter? In this talk, I will describe the science
encoded in a gravitational wave signal and what the upcoming years might
have in store regarding fundamental physics and gravitational waves.

--
Institute of Physics Belgrade
Pregrevica 118, 11080 Belgrade, Serbia