[hep-th] Fwd: Aspen Colloquium Thursday 3:00pm MDT (fwd)

Marko Vojinovic vmarko at ipb.ac.rs
Thu Sep 16 13:08:03 CEST 2021

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 16:51:30 -0400
From: Djordje Minic <dminic at vt.edu>
To: Marko Vojinovic <vmarko at ipb.ac.rs>
Subject: Fwd: Aspen Colloquium Thursday 3:00pm MDT

Pozdrav!

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Aspen Center for Physics <patty at aspenphys.org>
Date: Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 6:20 AM
Subject: Aspen Colloquium Thursday 3:00pm MDT
To: <dminic at vt.edu>

[on.jsp?ca=cd83ed7e-4b03-4ba2-a88b-da52c376f762&a=1134391967679&c=b9bc001e-aaa2-11ea-8472-d4ae52754950&ch=ba4b44fe-aaa2-11ea-8472-d4ae52754950]
[093462a9-5639-42b4-9c62-184d70f12fe1.jpg]
                                                                                         Colloquium Live Online Tomorrow

                                                                          Thursday, September 16, 3:00 pm Aspen (MDT) time (21:00 UTC)

Zoom Link

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81727685684

[S.gif]
[795bb77c-eb4e-4b3e-8d5b-8207d6ca4cf4.jpg]
[S.gif]
[S.gif]
                                                                                                   Yanbei Chen

                                                                                       California Institute of Technology

                                                           Gravitational-wave Detection, Macroscopic Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Gravity in the Lab

Experimental progress in quantum optomechanics has allowed preparing, manipulating, and probing the mechanical motions of macroscopic objects in the quantum regime. For example, laser interferometer
gravitational-wave detectors are now sensitive to displacements of kg-scale test masses near the free-mass Standard Quantum Limit, which arises from applying the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to kg-scale
test masses. Upcoming and future upgrades of these interferometers will benefit from techniques that substantially surpass the Standard Quantum Limit. Quantum optomechanics also provides new opportunities
for testing quantum mechanics, quantum measurement theory, and possibly studying the quantum nature of gravity. If these tests confirm conventional predictions, we will demonstrate the validity of quantum
mechanics in unprecedented regimes. Deviations from conventional predictions will lead to new physics.

Yanbei Chen is a professor of physics at the California Institute of Technology. He does theoretical research in gravitational-wave sources and gravitational-wave detectors. Chen received his Ph.D. in 2003
from the California Institute of Technology. From 2004 to 2008, he was a staff scientist at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute). In 2007, he returned to Caltech as
an assistant professor and was promoted to full professor in 2013. He was elected a Fellow of the American Physical Society in 2015.

                                                                                             Introducer and Co-host:

                                                                                    Victor Galitiski, University of Maryland

                                                                          This concludes our 2021 Summer Program with hybrid colloquia.

                                                        We plan to continue to share colloquia online every Thursday next summer beginning June 2, 2022.

                                                                     Colloquia and lectures are added to our YouTube channel, AspenPhysics.

                                                                                    Descriptions of both are on our website:

Colloquia
Public Lectures
Connect with us
Facebook ‌Twitter ‌YouTube
                                                                            Talks will be recorded and posted on our YouTube channel.

‌[S.gif]

                                                                       Aspen Center for Physics | 700 West Gillespie St., Aspen, CO 81611