[institut] Seminar SCL: N. Regnault on FQHE states

Milica Milovanovic mima at ipb.ac.rs
Sat Feb 6 12:34:23 CET 2010

Postovane koleginice i kolege,

Nicolas Regnault
Ecole Normale Supérieure, CNRS

odrzace seminar Laboratorije za primenu racunara u nauci:

Anatomy of the fractional quantum Hall states

dana 10.02.2010. u 12.00 u sali biblioteke Instituta za fiziku.

Sazetak seminara:

Understanding of numerous phenomena in physics or chemistry
are based on the underlying fermionic or bosonic statistics.
While statistics beyond these two have been predicted for
more than twenty years, the experimental evidences of
fractional or non-abelian statistics would be a major breakthrough.
Experiments based on the fractional quantum Hall effect are
on the verge of settling this question.

We will show the theoretical evidences that indicate
excitations of some fractional quantum Hall phases may obey
such exotic statistics. While a large part of these arguments
are based on numerical calculations, we will point out
limitations of such an approach. We will try to describe some
proposals to differentiate phases from finite size calculations.
The complete information of a state lies in its symmetric monomial
decomposition, but handling such huge amount of data has to be
done in a clever way. The so-called entanglement spectra
provide such technique. We will point out that they can go
beyond overlap calculations to probe quantum phases.