[institut] Seminar Fizickog fakulteta

Mirzeta Savic mirzetas at ff.bg.ac.rs
Mon Feb 22 11:42:08 CET 2010

S E M I N A R  FIZICKOG  FAKULTETA
Studentski trg 12, Beograd

Dr Milica Milovanovic
Institut za fiziku u Beogradu

"A quest for Pfaffian"

Abstract: The observed fractional quantum Hall effect at even denominator
filling factor 5/2 is widely believed to be connected with Moore-Read
Pfaffian state. This state represents a unique phase of matter, a
non-Abelian topological phase, with possible applications to quantum
topological computing. The Pfaffian state can be viewed as a p-wave
superconductor of dressed electrons, so-called composite fermions. There is
an interesting mathematical identity relating two-component Abelian 331
state and Pfaffian. We will try to induce this connection by tunneling
mechanism, in order to transform  two-component 331 state into one-component
Pfaffian. We present a theory of this transition based on the p-wave fermion
description and compare to numerical results.

Seminar ce se odrzati u sredu 24. februara 2010. godine u 13:00 casova u
fizickom amfiteatru (sala 661), III sprat.