[institut] Seminar Mark Goerbig

Milica Milovanovic mima at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Jan 18 07:59:13 CET 2010

Postovane kolege,

Mark Oliver Goerbig
Laboratoire de Physique des Solides, CNRS, Université Paris-Sud

odrzace seminar:

Graphene under uni-axial strain and 2D layered organic material alpha-(BEDT-
TTF)_2I_3; the physics of tilted Dirac cones

u cetvrtak, 21.01.2010., u 12.00 u sali biblioteke Instituta za fiziku.

Sazetak seminara:

Dirac-fermion physics in condensed-matter physics has become a major issue
since the discovery of graphene; a one-atom thick layer of graphite; where
the low-energy electronic properties are governed by the relativistic Dirac
rather than a Schrödinger equation. It has recently been argued that Dirac
fermions would also be responsible for the particular electronic properties
in the layered organic material alpha-(BEDT-TTF)_2I_3 [1], the temperature-
dependent transport of which hints at a narrow (or even zero) semiconductor
under pressure [2].

An interesting difference as compared to graphene arises from the tilt of
the (anisotropic) Dirac cones in alpha-(BEDT-TTF)_2I_3, which has been
obtained in a tight-binding calculation [1]. In this talk, I discuss the
origins of this tilt as well as its consequence for the Landau-level
quantisation in a strong magnetic field [3].  Surprisingly, the effect of
the tilt yields the same modification of the Landau levels as an in-plane
electric field for the case of non-tilted cones, which lowers indeed the
Landau-level spacing as a consequence of an underlying Lorentz invariance
[4]. Whereas neither the tilt of the Dirac cones nor the in-plane electric
field may lift, on their own, the twofold valley degeneracy in these
systems, the combination of the two achieves such as degeneracy lifting [5].
This scenario may eventually be tested with the help of infrared
spectroscopy that has proven to be a powerful tool in the determination of
the particular relativistic Landau-level structure in graphene.

[1] S. Katayama, A. Kobayashi, and Y. Suzumura, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 75,
054705 (2006).
[2] N. Tajima, S. Sugawara, M. Tamura, Y. Nishio, and K. Kajita, J. Phys.
Soc. Jpn. 75, 051010 (2006).
[3] M. O. Goerbig, J.-N. Fuchs, G. Montambaux, and F. Piéchon, Phys. Rev. B
78, 045415 (2008).
[4] V. Lukose, R. Shankar, and G. Baskaran, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 116802
(2007).
[5] M. O. Goerbig, J.-N. Fuchs, G. Montambaux, and F. Piéchon, EPL 85, 57005
(2009).

Milica V. Milovanovic