[institut] Poziv za seminar 15. 11. u 12h u Biblioteci Astronomske opservatorije

Luka C. Popovic lpopovic at aob.bg.ac.rs
Tue Nov 8 11:26:38 CET 2011

Postovane kolege,
U utora, 15. 11. 2011.g., u 12h u Biblioteci Astronomske opservatorije ce
Prof. Giussepe
Bono (University of Rome "Tor Vergata") odrzhti seminar pod nazivom:
"A new spin on the Carina dwarf spheroidal galaxy: stellar populations and
kinematics" (videti apstrakt ispod poruke).
Nadam se da cemo se videti u vecem broju,
srdachan pozdrav,
Luka C. Popovic

Title: A new spin on the Carina dwarf spheroidal galaxy: stellar
populations and kinematics

Speaker: G. Bono (University of Rome "Tor Vergata")

Affiliation: Department of Physics, University of Rome Tor Vergata

Abstract:
During the last few years we have been involved in a photometric and
spectroscopic survey of the stellar content of the nearby Carina dSph. We
have already collected  and analyzed several hundreds of multi-band (UBVI)
images collected with mosaic CCD cameras (CTIO 4m, 2.2m ESO/MPG).
Moreover, we have also collected several thousands of low- (FORS2),
medium-(MEDUSA+GIRAFFE) and high-resolution (UVES+GIRAFFE) spectra with
VLT. On the basis of these data we discuss the evolutionary properties of
the Carina stellar populations and in particular the spread in age and in
chemical composition. We also discuss the radial velocity distribution and
the metallicity distribution. The impact that the new findings have on the
mass/luminosity ratio (dark matter content) and on the chemical enrichment
will also be mentioned.