[institut] Seminar ponedeljak - Carlos Javier Zapata Rodriguez

Brana Jelenkovic branaj at ipb.ac.rs
Fri Aug 24 09:32:45 CEST 2012

 S E M I N A R

Carlos Javier Zapata Rodriguez

_ University of
Valencia _

NON-DIFFRACTIVE BEAMS IN PLASMONICS

Ponedeljak, 27
avgust, 2012 g. u 13:15 h u biblioteci Instituta

LECTURE SUMMARY: The
control of light propagation and localization on a sub-wavelength scale
is one of the key challenges in applied physics. Concerning this issue,
surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs) in metallic nanostructures are
especially versatile optical excitations. An efficient transformation of
traveling delocalized SPPs into highly localized excitations is
therefore of central importance to achieve bright illumination in
confined volumes. We are particularly interested in focus wave modes,
i.e. localized wave fields whose transverse distribution of intensity is
conserved is spite of diffraction. In this lecture we review our recent
results on Bessel beams driven by SPPs. This sort of diffraction-free
beams will be thoroughly compared with others encountered in plasmonic
devices, like Airy beams and self-guiding wave fields. In addition, we
introduce novel dyakonon > wave packets exhibiting subdiffractive
propagation features. Finally, we will discuss some potential
applications in electron acceleration, biosensing, nanocircuitry and
optical-electronic interconnects, near-field optical microscopy, and
optical trapping.