[institut] SCL seminar: Nonlinear excitations in BECs, Antun Balaz, petak 19. april u 14:00

Nenad Vukmirovic nenad.vukmirovic at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Apr 15 11:47:47 CEST 2013

Postovane koleginice i kolege,

Pozivam vas na SCL seminar koji ce u petak 19. aprila 2013. godine u
14:00 u citaonici Instituta za fiziku odrzati Antun Balaz (SCL, Institut
za fiziku u Beogradu). Naslov seminara i apstrakt su dati u nastavku ove
poruke.

Nonlinear Excitations in Bose-Einstein Condensates: Parametric and
Geometric Resonances

Abstract:

Bose-Einstein Condensates (BECs) are inherently nonlinear quantum
systems, which leads to a number of interesting effects. Modulation of
some of the parameters of a BEC can give rise to prominent nonlinear
features, such as shifts in the frequencies of collective oscillation
modes, higher harmonics generation, and resonant mode coupling. In a
recent experiment, a Bose-Einstein condensate of Li-7 has been excited
by a harmonic modulation of the atomic s-wave scattering length.
Combining an analytical perturbative approach with extensive numerical
simulations, we will analyze the emerging nonlinear dynamics of the
system on the mean-field level at zero temperature. We will present
resulting excitation spectra and main nonlinear effects close to
parametric resonances. We will also discuss geometric resonances in BECs
with two-body and three-body contact interactions, where even a geometry
of the trapping potential leads to the emergence of nonlinear effects,
frequency shifts and resonant mode coupling.

Srdacan pozdrav,

--
Dr Nenad Vukmirovic,
Visi naucni saradnik,