[institut] SCL seminar: Faraday waves in BECs, Antun Balaz, petak 24. maj u 14:00

Nenad Vukmirovic nenad.vukmirovic at ipb.ac.rs
Tue May 21 14:22:54 CEST 2013

Postovane koleginice i kolege,

Pozivam vas na SCL seminar koji ce u petak 24. maja 2013. godine u 14:00
u citaonici Instituta za fiziku odrzati Antun Balaz (SCL, Institut za
fiziku u Beogradu). Naslov seminara i apstrakt su dati u nastavku ove
poruke.

Nonlinear Excitations in Bose-Einstein Condensates: Faraday Waves

Abstract:

In addition to collective oscillation modes, Bose-Einstein Condensates
(BECs) exhibit a number of other excitations due to their inherent
nonlinearity. Faraday (density) waves can be generated by a periodic
modulation of the trapping potential or atomic interactions, and were
first observed experimentally in 2007. Using the results of extensive
numerical simulations and analytical variational calculations, we will
show that elongated binary non-miscible BECs subject to periodic
modulations of the radial confinement exhibit a Faraday instability
similar to that seen in one-component condensates. Considering the
hyperfine states of 87Rb condensates, we will show that there are two
experimentally relevant stationary state configurations: the one in
which the components form a dark-bright symbiotic pair (the ground state
of the system), and the one in which the components are segregated
(first excited state).

For each of these two configurations, we will numerically demonstrate
that far from resonances the Faraday waves excited in the two BEC
components are of similar periods, emerge simultaneously, and do not
impact the dynamics of the bulk of the condensate. We will also
analytically derive the period of the Faraday waves using a variational
treatment of the coupled Gross-Pitaevskii equations combined with a
Mathieu-type analysis for the selection mechanism of the excited waves.
Finally, we will show that for a modulation frequency close to twice
that of the radial trapping, the emergent surface waves fade out in
favor of a forceful collective mode that turns the two BEC components
miscible.

Srdacan pozdrav,

--
Dr Nenad Vukmirovic,