[institut] Tekst poziva na predavanje

filosofija fil at f.bg.ac.rs
Fri Oct 18 10:26:00 CEST 2013

Filozofija Kvantne mehanike
Ciklus predavanja

Odeljenje za filozofiju - Filozofski fakultet - Univerzitet u Beogradu

25. oktobar 2013. u 13h
(Filozofsko društvo Srbije, 2. medjusprat, Filozofski fakultet)

Miklós Rédei
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
London School of Economics

The Principle of the Common Cause

The Principle of the Common Cause states that every probabilistic
correlation is due either  to a direct causal link between the
correlated entities or is brought about by a third factor, a so-called
(Reichenbachian) common cause. The talk outlines the method of how one
can assess the status of the Common Cause Principle in the spirit of
empirical philosophy and reviews common cause completability and
causal completability results that are directly relevant from the
perspective of evaluating the status of the Common Cause Principle in
light of the evidence provided by our scientific theories, especially
physics. The main message of the talk is that, assessing the status of
the Common Cause Principle is a very subtle matter with a number of
problems still open and that at present we do not have empirical
evidence that could be regarded as contradicting the Common Cause
Principle.