[institut] PODSECANJE: Seminar: Saša Dujko

Zoran Petrović zoran at ipb.ac.rs
Wed Apr 9 08:02:57 CEST 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Seminar: Saša Dujko
Date: 	Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:58:57 +0200
From: 	Zoran Petrović <zoran at ipb.ac.rs>
To: 	Institut <institut at ipb.ac.rs>, lge <lge at ipb.ac.rs>

Postovane koleginice i kolege,

pozivamo Vas na seminar Laboratorije za gasnu elektroniku, koji će u
sredu 09. Aprila 2014. god. u 12:00 u velikoj sali Zvonko Maric održati

dr Saša Dujko.

Naslov siminara je:

High-order fluid model for streamer discharges

Abstract

Streamers are growing filaments of weakly-ionized non-stationary plasma
produced by an ionization front that moves through non-ionized matter.
They represent the first mode of electric breakdown of non-ionized
matter exposed to strong electric fields. Streamers occur in the initial
stages of lightning, in sprite discharges above thunderclouds and in
industrial applications such as lighting and gas cleaning.

This presentation focuses on the derivation of a high-order fluid model
for streamer all other low temperature plasmas. Using momentum transfer
theory, the fluid equations are obtained as velocity moments of the
Boltzmann equation; they are closed in the local mean energy
approximation and coupled to the Poisson equation for the space charge
generated electric field. The high-order tensor in the energy flux
equation is approximated by the product of two lower order moments to
close the system. The average collision frequencies for momentum and
energy transfer in elastic and inelastic collisions for electrons in
molecular nitrogen and rare gases are calculated from a multi-term
Boltzmann equation solution. I will discuss, in particular, (1) the
correct implementation of transport data in streamer models; (2) the
accuracy of the two-term approximation for solving Boltzmann’s equation
in the context of streamer studies; and (3) the evaluation of the
mean-energy-dependent collision rates for electrons required as an input
in the high-order fluid model.

Using fluid models of different orders, I will discuss the propagation
of positive streamers in air. Special attention will be paid upon the
propagation of positive streamers in Venusian atmosphere with the aim of
analyzing one of the topical problems in geophysics: Does the lightning
exist in the atmosphere of Venus? Using a high-order model, I will
illustrate the non-local effects in the profiles of the averaged energy
behind the streamer front and emphasize the significance of the energy
flux balance equation in modeling. I will consider the negative planar
ionization fronts in molecular nitrogen and rare gases. Our results for
various streamers properties are compared with those obtained by a Monte
Carlo approach. The comparison confirms the theoretical basis and
numerical integrity of our high order fluid model for streamers discharges.