[institut] Seminar ponedeljkom - Emilija Petronijevic

Brana Jelenkovic branaj at ipb.ac.rs
Thu Oct 22 17:37:17 CEST 2015

Seminar

Emilija Petronijevic, PhD student
La Sapienza University of Rome, Nonlinear Photonics Lab:

Plasmonic properties of 2D periodic nanostructures: photo-acoustic
detection of surface plasmon polaritons; Nonlinear optical properties of
ZnWO4 crystals

Abstract
Plasmonics as an exciting field of nanophotonics paves the way towards
the more efficient optical functional elements with applications in
subwavelength microscopy, surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS) for
biosensors, plasmonic waveguides, nonlinear photonic, photonic
integrated circuits etc. Here we investigate the optical coupling of
Surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs) in 2D periodic array of nanoholes
etched in gold/chromium layer upon a glass substrate. We apply the
scattering independent photo acoustic technique to detect SPPs measuring
the absorption of the periodic structures. We further investigate the
confinement of electrical field by means of Raman spectroscopy
measurements. The experimental results are in good agreement with FDTD
simulations.

In my first year I have been also working on the nonlinear optical
characterization of ZnWO4 single crystals and ZnWO4-ZnO composites
fabricated by means of micro-pulling down technique. We have measured
Second harmonic generation in this supposedly centrosymmetric crystal,
as well as the other interesting processes such as the emission induced
by three-photon absorption and Raman scattering induced sum frequency
generation. These are technologically important materials, with
applications in X-ray and gamma-scintillators, solid state laser hosts,
sensors etc.

Mesto U biblioteci Dragan Popovic Instituta za fiziku

Vreme Ponedeljak 26 oktobar, 2015, u 12 h

--
Brana Jelenkovic
Photonics Center