[institut] SCL seminar: Ross McKenzie, Wednesday, August 31 at 14:00

Darko Tanaskovic tanasko at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Aug 29 15:59:41 CEST 2016

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the Scientific Computing Laboratory
seminar, which will be held on Wednesday, August 31, at 14:00 in the
library reading room “Dr. Dragan Popović" of the Institute of Physics
Belgrade. The talk entitled

Absence of a quantum limit to the shear viscosity of strongly
interacting fermion systems

will be given by

Prof. Ross McKenzie,
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
condensedconcepts.blogspot.com

Abstract of the talk:

Are there fundamental limits to how small the shear viscosity of a
macroscopic fluid can be? Could Planck’s constant and the Heisenberg
uncertainty
principle determine that lower bound? In 2005 mathematical techniques
from string theory and black hole physics (!) were used to conjecture a
lower bound for the ratio of the shear viscosity to the entropy of all
fluids. From both theory and experiment, this bound appears to be
respected in ultracold atoms and the quark-gluon plasma.
However, we have shown that this bound is strongly violated in the “bad
metal” regime that occurs near a Mott insulator, and described by a
Hubbard model [1]. I will give a basic introduction to shear viscosity,
the conjectured bounds, bad metals, and our results.

[1] N. Pakhira and R.H. McKenzie, Phys. Rev. B 92, 125103 (2015).

Best regards,
Darko Tanaskovic

Institute of Physics Belgrade
Pregrevica 118, 11080 Belgrade, Serbia