[institut] SCL Seminar: Jorge Pedros, Friday, 21 October, 14:00

Nenad Vukmirovic nenad.vukmirovic at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Oct 17 10:43:16 CEST 2016

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the SCL seminar which will be held on
Friday, 21 October 2016 at 14:00 in “Dr. Dragan Popović” library reading
room of the Institute of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

  Active plasmonics in graphene using surface acoustic waves

will be given by Prof. Jorge Pedrós (Institute of Optoelectronic Systems
and Microtechnology, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain). Abstract
of the talk:

In comparison to conventional plasmonics, the tunability of graphene
plasmons offers unique possibilities for applications in metamaterials,
quantum optics control, biosensing, and light harvesting. However, most
of the techniques developed so far for coupling light into graphene
plasmons do not offer active control of the coupling mechanism. We have
recently demonstrated a method to couple far-field radiation into
propagating graphene plasmons by periodically deforming a continuous
graphene sheet with an electrically generated surface acoustic wave
(SAW) [1]. This mechanism allows to create a tunable optical grating
without the need of any patterning in either the graphene layer or the
substrate, thus eliminating edge scattering and fragility issues. An
interdigital transducer (IDT) on a piezoelectric film is used to launch
the SAW across the graphene sheet. By diffraction at the grating,
incident laser light can overcome the momentum mismatch and excite
propagating plasmons in the graphene sheet. This approach permits to
efficiently control the graphene plasmons both temporally and spatially.
Thus, the propagating plasmons can be switched electrically via the
high-frequency signal at the IDT and the generated plasmon wavefronts
can be shaped by tailoring the IDT design.  Moreover, the IDT technology
ensures the easy fabrication of graphene plasmonic devices by the
microelectronics industry.

In this talk, we will briefly review the different methods used so far
for the generation of graphene plasmons, before presenting the details
of our novel SAW-assisted approach. We will present the hybridized
graphene plasmon-phonon dispersion in the graphene/piezoelectric
structures, as well as the design and fabrication technology of the
plasmonic devices, including the transfer of graphene [2] to various
piezoelectric materials. We will finally discuss different SAW-mediated
plasmon functionalities based on several engineered device geometries.

Acknowledgements: Financial support from the EU Erasmus+ Programme, EU
project SAWTrain (H2020-MSCA-ITN-2014-642688), and Spanish MINECO
project GRAFAGEN (ENE2013-47904-C3-1-R).

[1] J. Schiefele, J. Pedrós, F. Sols, F. Calle, and F. Guinea, Phys.
Rev. Lett. 111, 237405 (2013).
[2] A. Boscá, J. Pedrós, J. Martínez, T. Palacios, and F. Calle, Sci.
Rep. 6, 21676 (2016).

Best regards,

--
Dr Nenad Vukmirovic,