[institut] SCL Seminar: Denis V. Makarov, Friday, 11 August, 14:00

Ivana Vasic ivanavi at ipb.ac.rs
Fri Aug 4 18:08:43 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the SCL seminar of the Center for the Study
of Complex Systems, which will be held on Friday, 11 August 2017 at
14:00 in the library reading room “Dr. Dragan Popović" of the Institute
of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

"Nonlinear dynamics of coherently-coupled two-species Bose-Einstein
condensates"

will be given by Denis V. Makarov (V. I. Il'ichev Pacific Oceanological
Institute of the Far-Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
Vladivostok, Russia). Abstract of the talk:

Two-component Bose-Einstein condensates with linear inter-component
coupling have become an object of considerable interest because of their
nontrivial dynamical properties. In this talk we will address the
dynamics of a two-species Bose-Einstein condensate where the two species
correspond to different hyperfine states of the same type of atoms.
External microwave radiation leads to resonant transitions between the
states. The condensate is loaded into the optical lattice. We will focus
our attention on the interplay of spatial and internal dynamics of the
mixture [1, 2].

We will show that the enhancement of atomic interactions results in
demixing of the condensates and leads to the formation of immiscible
solitons, i.e. solitons consisting of only one of the atomic species.
This process is preceded by a transient regime with highly irregular
behavior of the mixture. We will demonstrate that the transient regime
can be associated with dynamical chaos, and that the soliton formation
is an unpredictable process, i.e. one cannot exactly predict neither the
spatial location of solitons, nor the species they consist of. In
addition, our calculations suggest a possibility of spontaneous
synchronization of Rabi oscillations on neighboring lattice sites. On
average, number of synchronized sites increases with time.

[1] M. Y. Uleysky, D. V. Makarov, Journal of Russian Laser Research 35,
138 (2014)
[2] D. V. Makarov, M. Y. Uleysky, Communications in Nonlinear Science
and Numerical Simulation 43, 227 (2017)

Best regards,
Ivana Vasic
--