[institut] SCL Seminar: Matteo Marsili, Monday, 13 February, 14:00

Marija Mitrovic Dankulov mitrovic at ipb.ac.rs
Tue Feb 7 19:26:43 CET 2017

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the SCL seminar of the Center for the Study
of Complex Systems, which will be held on Monday, 13 February 2017 at
14:00 in the library reading room “Dr. Dragan Popović" of the Institute
of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

Statistical Mechanics of Economies

will be given by Dr. Matteo Marsili (The Abdus Salam International
Centre for Theoretical Physics, Italy). Abstract of the talk:

"I can calculate the motion of erratic bodies, but not the madness of a
multitude". Three centuries after Sir Isaac Newton (reportedly)
expressed with these words his bafflement for the working of economies,
we still have nothing like Newton's law in economics. In spite of this,
statistical mechanics allows us to study simple models of economies
where "multitudes" exhibit a robust and predictable typical behaviour,
which reproduces empirical data and provides hints on measures to
mitigate systemic crises. The aim of the colloquium is to present
 examples of this approach, ranging from shadow banking, to industrial
development, inequality and growth.

Best regards,
Marija Mitrović Dankulov

--