[institut] Predavanja V. Timorina (fwd)

Odeljenje za mehaniku mehanika at turing.mi.sanu.ac.rs
Mon May 22 12:29:33 CEST 2017

Postovane kolege,

Skrecemo paznu na gostovanje profesora Vladlena Timorina,
sa jednog od najprestiznijih matematickih fakulteta u svetu:
Faculty of Mathematics, Higher School of Economics, Moscow.

Matematicka gimnazija,
cetvrtak, 25. maja, 14 casova

Vladlen Timorin,
Sylvester's problem and its analogs
Matematicki institut SANU,
Odeljenje za matematiku, petak 26. maja u 14:15

Vladlen Timorin,
LAMINATIONAL MODELS FOR SPACES OF POLYNOMIALS

This is a joint work with Alexander Blokh, Lex Oversteegen and Ross
Ptacek. We will discuss combinatorial structure of spaces of complex
polynomials. The latter are viewed as dynamical systems. A classic example
is the Mandelbrot set which parameterizes complex quadratic polynomials
with "interesting dynamics" up to affine conjugacy. A combinatorial model
for the Mandelbrot set, which is also a conjectural topological model, is
known. We address the issue of finding combinatorial models for spaces of
higher degree polynomials. As in the quadratic case, it is useful first to
model individual polynomials (combinatorial models for polynomials are
provided by Thurston's laminations), and then use appropriate spaces of
laminations to model the corresponding spaces of polynomials.