[institut] Reminder - SCL Seminar: Jernej Mravlje, Friday, 17 November, 14:00

Darko Tanaskovic tanasko at ipb.ac.rs
Fri Nov 17 10:05:45 CET 2017

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the SCL seminar of the Center for the Study
of Complex Systems, which will be held on Friday, 17 November 2017 at
14:00 in the library reading room “Dr. Dragan Popović" of the Institute
of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

"DMFT insights to incoherent transport in strongly correlated metals"

will be given by Dr. Jernej Mravlje ("Jozef Stefan" Institute,
Ljubljana, Slovenia).

Abstract of the talk:

The electronic transport is one of the most poorly understood aspects of
strongly correlated electron systems. The resistivity is often found at
large temperatures to exceed the Mott-Ioffe-Regel (MIR) value that
corresponds to a scattering event every lattice spacing.  This
bad-metallic behavior that cannot be understood in terms of Boltzmann
quasiparticle transport is currently explored by several different
theoretical approaches.

We investigated this regime for a doped Mott insulator using the
dynamical mean-field theory (DMFT) and high-temperature expansion
approaches. The DMFT equations are solved using the state-of-the art
quantum-Monte-Carlo and numerical renormalization group methods and
consistency between the obtained results demonstrates their accuracy.
Along resistivity we calculated also the single-particle spectral
functions and the charge compressibility.  When resistivity exceeds the
MIR value, the quasiparticles melt and one enters into a regime in which
the scattering rate (diffusion constant) saturate and the carrier
density (charge compressibility) drops as 1/temperature. In this regime
(in which resistivity is linear in
temperature), the bad-metal is somewhat similar to a doped semiconductor
dominated by the temperature evolution of the carrier number rather than
the scattering. We will discuss the relevance of the results for the
behavior found in real materials and optical lattices and compare them
against other theoretical approaches.

Best regards,
Darko Tanaskovic