[institut] SCL Seminar: Bosiljka Tadic, Friday, 20 October, 14:00

Marija Mitrovic Dankulov mitrovic at ipb.ac.rs
Fri Oct 13 09:23:24 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the SCL seminar of the Center for the Study
of Complex Systems, which will be held on Friday, 20 October 2017 at
14:00 in the library reading room “Dr. Dragan Popović" of the Institute
of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

Social brain---manifestation of a high-dimensional structure

will be given by Bosiljka Tadić (Department of Theoretical Physics,
Jožef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia). Abstract of the talk:

We are our brains (Είμαστε ο εγκέφαλός μας)---the idea originating from
Hippocrates  becomes increasingly recognized in the era of massive brain
imaging and modern science techniques of the data analysis.  In recent
years, the research activity on brain imaging data considerably
increased our knowledge about the fascinating brain functional
capabilities, recognizing the brain areas responsible for different
activities, information processing, emotions, a comprehension of
languages, time, space, numbers, as well as the origin of various
diseases.  In this context, mapping the imaging data to suitable
networks and the use of objective mathematical techniques of graphs
theory has provided a significant leap in contemporary science of the
brain. Furthermore, the application of Statistical physics to research
brain as a complex dynamical system has a long  tradition. The problem
of the social brain considers the social impact on the brain functions
and the neuronal basis of social conduct of individuals.  Unlike the
single brain imaging, such experiments are rare; they concern
simultaneous recordings of a group of people during a particular
communication, and the design of an experiment is based on a valid
research hypothesis in currently developing science of social neurology
and social psychology. The additional complexity of the social brain
comes from the fact that it involves areas of the brain hat communicate
in a different way, depending on the type of inputs and their precise
content (emotional and cognitive).

In this Seminar, based on our recent work [1], we will present the main
concepts and results of our analysis of a set of EEG empirical data
recorded in a group of people during spoken communications. Mapping the
aggregate data on multi-brain networks, we use methods of algebraic
topology of graphs to investigate functional brain connections  that
underly the social brain of the participants. These mathematical
techniques identify the basic geometric descriptors such as triangles,
tetrahedrons and cliques of higher orders, as well as the ways in which
they assemble to form the complex multi-brain graph structure.
Interestingly, our analysis reveals how the occurrence of these higher
organized geometries of inter-brain networks correlates with the
listener's self-reported quality of coordination with the  speakers.
Moreover, these methods can detect shifts in the brain activity pattern
arising from the changes of the subject or other impact on the
individual.

[1] B. Tadić, M. Andjelković, B. M. Boškoska, Z. Levnajić,   Algebraic
topology of multi-brain connectivity networks reveals dissimilarity in
functional brain patterns during spoken communications, PLOS one 11,
e0166787 (2016)

Best regards,
Mrarija Mitrovic Dankulov

--