[institut] Reminder - SCL Seminar: Vladimir Gligorijevic, Friday, 8 September, 14:00

Marija Mitrovic Dankulov mitrovic at ipb.ac.rs
Fri Sep 8 08:45:04 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the SCL seminar of the Center for the Study
of Complex Systems, which will be held on Friday, 8 September 2017 at
14:00 in the library reading room “Dr. Dragan Popović" of the Institute
of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

Non-negative Matrix Factorization Methods for Analysis and Integration
of Heterogeneous Network Data

will be given by Dr. Vladimir Gligorijević (Flatiron Institute, New
York, USA). Abstract of the talk:

Abstract

In many areas of science and technology data describing a process or a
system of interest and its individual components can be obtained from
different types of instruments, using different acquisition techniques
and experimental setups. For example, in biology and biomedicine, rapid
technological advances have led to the production of such heterogeneous
and multimodal data, and enabled construction of complex networks with
various types of interactions between diverse biological entities.
Conventional network data analysis methods were shown to be limited in
dealing with such multi-relational network data, as they are designed
specifically for analysis of single-relational networks [1].

In this talk, we will introduce integrative methods that can
collectively mine multiple types of biological networks and create more
accurate integrative models capable of producing more holistic,
systems-level biological insights. The proposed methods are based on
Non-negative Matrix Factorization (NMF), a dimensionality reduction
technique, that is further extended for learning and modelling
dependencies between large-scale heterogeneous and multimodal network
data.

In the first part of the talk, I will demonstrate the applicability of
our methods on diverse biological problems including protein function
prediction [2], alignment of multiple PPI networks from different
species with the goal of discovering clusters of proteins that are
evolutionarily and functionally conserved across all networks [3] and
extraction of composite functional modules from multimodal biological
networks [5]. In the second part of the talk, we will focus, in more
details, on the challenges in personalized medicine. Here we will
explain in detail our method for addressing the key challenges in cancer
research: stratification of patients into groups with different clinical
outcomes, cancer progression, prediction of driver genes whose mutations
trigger the onset and development of cancers, and re-purposing of drugs
treating particular cancer patient groups. We will outline some of the
results obtained by applying our framework on ovarian cancer data [4].

[1] V. Gligorijević, N. Pržulj, Journal of the Royal Society
Interface 12.112 (2015): 20150571.
[2] V. Gligorijević, V. Janjić, N. Pržulj, Bioinformatics 30.17 (2014):
i594-i600.
[3] V. Gligorijević, N. Malod-Dognin, N. Pržulj, Bioinformatics 32.8
(2015): 1195-1203.
[4] V. Gligorijević, N. Malod-Dognin, N. Pržulj, Proceedings of the 2016
PSB
[5] V. Gligorijević, Y. Panagakis, S. Zafeiriou, arXiv preprint
arXiv:1612.00750 (2016).

Best regards,
Marija Mitrovic Dankulov

--