[institut] SCL Seminar: Serhiy Yanchuk, Thursday, 21 September, 14:00

Igor Franovic franovic at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Sep 18 08:35:13 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the SCL seminar of the Center for the Study
of Complex Systems, which will be held on Thursday, 21 September 2017 at
14:00 in the library reading room “Dr Dragan Popović" of the Institute
of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

                              "Resistance to noise of neuronal networks
with plasticity"

will be given by Professor Serhiy Yanchuk (Technical University,
Berlin). Abstract of the talk is provided below.

Intuitively one might expect independent noise to be a powerful tool for
desynchronizing a population of synchronized neurons. We here show that,
intriguingly, for oscillatory neural populations with adaptive synaptic
weights governed by spike timing-dependent plasticity (STDP) the
opposite is true. We found that the mean synaptic coupling in such
systems increases dynamically in response to the increase of the noise
intensity, and there is an optimal noise level, where the amount of
synaptic coupling gets maximal in a resonance-like manner as found for
the stochastic or coherence resonances, although the mechanism in our
case is different. This constitutes a noise-induced self-organization of
the synaptic connectivity, which effectively counteracts the
desynchronizing impact of independent noise over a wide range of the
noise intensity. Given the attempts to counteract neural synchrony
underlying tinnitus with noisers and maskers, our results may be of
neurobiological relevance.

Best regards,

Dr Igor Franović

--