[institut] SCL Seminar: Sebastian Eydam, Thursday, 28 September, 14:00

Igor Franovic franovic at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Sep 25 09:04:27 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the SCL seminar of the Center for the Study
of Complex Systems, which will be held on Thursday,
28 September 2017 at 14:00 in the library reading room "Dr Dragan
Popović" of the Institute of Physics Belgrade. The talk
entitled

                                         "Phase Oscillator Mode-Locking"

will be given by Sebastian Eydam (Weierstrass Institute for Applied
Analysis and Stochastics, Berlin). Abstract of the talk is provided
below.

We investigate the dynamics of a Kuramoto-type system of globally
coupled phase oscillators with equidistant natural frequencies and a
coupling strength below the synchronization threshold. It turns out that
in such cases one can observe a stable regime of sharp pulses in the
mean field amplitude with a pulsation frequency given by the spacing of
the natural frequencies. This resembles a process known as mode-locking
in lasers and relies on the emergence of a phase relation induced by the
nonlinear coupling. We explain the role of the first and second harmonic
in the phase-interaction function for the stability of the pulsations.
Further we address the issue of transient dynamics and the connection
between extensive chaos and mode-locked solutions.

Best regards,
Dr Igor Franović

--
Assistant Research Professor