[institut] Naucno-strucni skup, 31. 08. u 13h

Maša Lakićević mlakicevic at aob.rs
Thu Aug 23 10:44:35 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

In the Library of the Astronomical Observatory in Belgrade (Volgina 7),
on Friday, August 31, 2018, starting at 13 h, a Seminar will be held:

Speaker: Prof. Dr. Di Li, National Astronomical Observatories, Chinese
Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China

Title: From Arecibo to FAST -- the Journey to the World's Giant
Telescopes

Abstract:
The 300-meter Arecibo telescope had been the world's largest antenna
ever since its inception in 1963, until September 25th, 2016, when the
Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical radio Telescope (FAST) was
inaugurated.  I will introduce briefly the landmark achievements of
Arecibo, its innovations and limitations, with special focus on those
leading to the FAST concept. While still being commissioned, FAST has
been regularly discoving new pulsars, including ones with unique
features, MSPs, binaries, and etc. I will discuss the potential and the
aspiration of FAST to succeed Arecibo as the leading single-dish
instrument in astrophysics research, particularly, ISM, HI galaxies,
pulsars, and transients.