[institut] Seminar Fizickog fakulteta

Mirzeta mirzetas at ff.bg.ac.rs
Thu Dec 20 10:47:51 CET 2018

Seminar Fizickog fakulteta
Utorak, 25. decembar, 13 casova, fizicki amfiteatar, sala 661,
Studentski trg 12, III sprat.

Dr Zlatko Papic,University of Leeds
"Quantum many-body scars"

Abstract*:*Recent experiments on large chains of Rydberg atoms [H.
Bernien et al., Nature 551, 579 (2017)] have demonstrated the
possibility of realizing 1D systems with locally constrained Hilbert
spaces, along with some surprising signatures of non-ergodic dynamics,
such as persistent oscillations following a quench from the Neel product
state. In this talk we will argue that this phenomenon is a
manifestation of a "quantum many-body scar", i.e., a concentration of
extensively many eigenstates of the system around special many-body
states [1]. The special states are analogs of unstable classical
periodic orbits in the single-particle quantum billiards. I will present
a model based on a single particle hopping on the Hilbert space graph,
which quantitatively captures the scarred wave functions up to large
systems of 32 atoms. These results suggest that scarred many-body bands
give rise to a new universality class of quantum dynamics, which opens
up opportunities for creating and manipulating novel states with
long-lived coherence in systems that are now amenable to experimental study.

[1] C. J. Turner, A. A. Michailidis, D. A. Abanin, M. Serbyn, Z. Papić,
Nat. Phys, 14, 745 (2018).