[institut] Photonics Center seminar - Prof. Dr. Michael Pravica, 25 May 2018 at 12:00

Marko Nikolic nikolic at ipb.ac.rs
Tue May 22 12:41:18 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the Photonics Center seminar, which will be
held on Friday, 25 May 2018 at 12:00 in the library reading room “Dr.
Dragan Popović" of the Institute of Physics Belgrade.
The talk entitled:
                                          Harnessing hard x-rays to drive
novel science

will be given by Prof. Dr. Michael Pravica  (Professor of Physics,
Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Nevada, Las Vegas).

Abstract of the talk:

Though x-ray related damage has been considered a nuisance since x-rays
were first discovered, we use them to initiate decomposition and
synthetic reaction chemistry at extreme (high pressure, variable
temperature) or isolated conditions by harnessing their highly ionizing,
highly penetrating, and highly focused properties.  This talk will focus
on three areas where we have made progress in developing useful hard
x-ray photochemistry:

1. Possible formation of HgF4 by irradiation of a mixture of XeF2 and
HgF2 at high pressure to produce molecular fluorine in situ in a diamond
anvil cell via XeF2 + hυ → Xe + F2 and then reacting the mobile F2 to
form HgF4 via HgF2 + F2→ HgF4 at pressures in the 25 GPa up to 40 GPa
pressure range.  This appears to confirm predictions of “inner shell
chemistry” at extreme conditions made by Miao.

2. By irradiation of strontium oxalate, we have produced a novel
compound: stable doped polymeric-CO that traps CO2 at ambient conditions
for over one year via:
SrC2O4 + hυ → SrCO3 + CO
n(CO) → poly-CO
We plan on synthesizing a family of doped polymers using this method
(patent granted).

3. By irradiating lightly pressurized Cs2(C2O4) ∙ H2O, we have created a
novel structure of cesium superoxide (CsO2).
These methods may offer hope to synthesize novel compounds with novel
structures (and thus with potentially useful and targeted properties).

Best regards,
Marko Nikolic

--
Marko G. Nikolic PhD