[institut] среда 7.11, 14:30h, Семинар Центра за физику чврстог стања : Local Electronic Confinement in Graphene - From Raman Response of Covalent Derivatives to Optics with Electrons``

Đorđe Jovanović djordje at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Nov 5 12:44:57 CET 2018

Поштоване колегинице и колеге,

Са задовољством вас позивам на семинар Центра за физику чврстог стања и
нових материјала под насловом:

Local Electronic Confinement in Graphene: From Raman Response of
Covalent Derivatives to Optics with Electrons

који ће одржати проф. др Војислав Крстић, из Department of Physics,
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität(FAU), Erlangen, Germany.

Семинар ће се одржати у среду 7. новембра 2018. године са почетком у
14:30 часова у Институту за физику у Београду у читаоници „Др Драган
Поповић“ у приземљу.

Добро дошли

др Ђорђе Јовановић

Сажетак:

Local electronic confinement is a key-ingredient for the successful
control of electronic and optoelectronic properties of any material. In
graphene however, due to its specific hexagonal lattice structure (two
triangular sublattices) and the circumstance to be made of carbon atoms,
electronic confinement can have many different flavours than just the
localisation of electrons. Here we address two manifestations of
electronic confinement, one mainly chemistry driven, the other driven by
physical interactions:
Covalent functionalization of graphene is a continuously progressing
field of research.
However, in virtually all optical responses, an unresolved enhancement
in peak intensity with increase of sp3 carbon content is observed. To
elucidate this general phenomenon we present a phenomenological model
[1] which takes into account the circumstance that upon covalent
functionalization confined π-conjugated domains (photoluminescent)
surrounded by sp3 carbon regions in graphene monolayers are formed.[2,3]
Our model, underpinned by combined Raman measurements and an in-situ dry
electrostatic doping technique, incorporates the modulation of the Raman
intensities through the photoluminescence active domains, and correlates
the individual D- and G-mode intensities to the degree of
functionalization. Through this, evaluations of Raman spectra using our
model circumvent the ambiguities and information loss encountered when
using the ratio of D- and G-mode intensities.
Physical confinement involves the use of potential barriers and wells in
contrast to altering chemical bonds. However, the use of electrostatic
potentials for confinement of the relativistic electrons in graphene is
not efficient due to the Klein paradox. Nevertheless, the introduction
of local electrostatic potentials is theoretically predicted to have a
confining action in form of a caustic motion of electrons within the
potential [4]. We will show that this effectively results in a guiding
of electrons through scattering, which is the electronic analogue of the
well-known Mie scattering [5].