[institut] SCL Seminar: Matthias Wolfrum, Thursday, 11th October, 14:00

Igor Franovic franovic at ipb.ac.rs
Fri Oct 5 14:38:36 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

you are cordially invited to the SCL seminar of the Center for the Study
of Complex Systems, which will be held on Thursday, 11th October 2018 at
14:00 in the library reading room "Dr. Dragan Popović" of the Institute
of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

                               "Excitability of the relaxation
oscillations in the FitzHugh-Nagumo system"

will be given by Dr Matthias Wolfrum from the Weierstrass Institute for
Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) in Berlin. The abstract of the
talk is provided below.

The classical notion of excitability refers to an equilibrium state that
shows under the influence of perturbations a nonlinear threshold-like
behavior. In this talk, we extend this concept by demonstrating how
periodic orbits can exhibit a specific form of excitable behavior where
the nonlinear threshold-like response appears only after perturbations
applied within a certain part of the periodic orbit, i.e the
excitability happens to be phase-sensitive. We demonstrate this concept
using the relaxation oscillations of the FitzHugh-Nagumo system.
Triggering the phase-sensitive excitability by noise leads to a
characteristic non-monotone dependence of the mean spiking rate of the
relaxation oscillations on the noise level. In the second part of the
talk, we consider a system of two coupled FitzHugh-Nagumo oscillators,
where dynamical regimes with alternating spiking order, called
leap-frogging, appear as a consequence of the phase-sensitive
excitability feature. We analyze various types of periodic and chaotic
leap-frogging regimes, using numerical path-following methods to
investigate their emergence and stability, as well as to obtain the
complex bifurcation scenario which organizes their appearance in the
parameter space.

Best regards,
Dr Igor Franović

----