[institut] [phys4phys] Group for Gravitation, Particle and Fields on-line seminar, Friday 16 December 2022

Marija Dimitrijevic Ciric dmarija at ipb.ac.rs
Tue Dec 13 12:44:33 CET 2022

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the online seminar of the Group for
Gravitation, Particles and Fields, which will be held on Friday, 16
December 2022 at 11:00 via the BigBlueButton platform (link is given
below).

The talk entitled

Introduction to category theory and n-groups

is the first in the series of seminars on n-groups and categories and
will be given by Marko Vojinovic (Institute of Physics Belgrade).

Abstract: This is the first of a sequence of lectures about higher
category theory and
n-groups. We will discuss the motivation for introducing n-groups, and
demonstrate some of their basic properties. After introducing the idea
of
higher groups and discussing why they should be relevant for physics, we
will
demonstrate the equivalence between a strict 2-group and a crossed
module,
which is a technically more convenient tool. We will also discuss
everything
on the example of the Poincaré 2-group, which should help us to build
some
intuition.

The lecture is motivated mainly by papers arXiv:q-alg/9705009,
arXiv:1003.4485.

Time: December 16, 2022 11:00 Belgrade

https://gravityserver.ipb.ac.rs/b/mar-xoo-t1v-vwn

Best regards,