[institut] [phys4phys] CNP online seminar: Stefan Mijin, Thursday, 23 June, 14:00

Saša Dujko sasha at ipb.ac.rs
Thu Jun 16 21:44:19 CEST 2022

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the online seminar of the Center for
Non-Equilibrium Processes Institute of Physics Belgrade, which will be
held in the library reading room “Dr Dragan Popović" on Thursday, 23
June 2022 at 14:00 on Zoom (link is given below). The talk entitled

Fluid and kinetic modelling of transport in the tokamak Scrape-Off Layer

will be given by Dr Stefan Mijin (Tokamak Science, United Kingdom Atomic
Energy Authority, Culham Science Centre). Abstract of the talk:

As the JET tokamak nears the end of its lifetime and machines like
JT-60SA and ITER slowly step onto the stage, we enter into the last
planned generation of experimental machines before demonstration fusion
plants, such as the EU's DEMO and UK's STEP. On that road there are
still many unanswered physics questions, with a significant number of
them being part of the so-called exhaust problem. This problem stems
from the transport of plasma out of the core and towards various
material surfaces, where it interacts with neutral particles and
impurities. The hot plasma carries immense amounts of heat to the
surfaces, and these heat loads must be mitigated. To that end, the
understanding of plasma and impurity transport in the boundary region of
tokamaks is important for future reactor design and operations.

In this talk I will endeavour to give a broad overview of the exhaust
problem, including theoretical and computational approaches to tackling
various aspects of the problem. In that context I will present work done
at UKAEA and Imperial College London on 1D fluid and kinetic modelling
of electron transport in the tokamak Scrape-Off Layer (i.e. boundary
region). I will show where kinetic effects can come into play and
compare kinetic to fluid simulations both in steady state and during
transient heating pulses. Finally, I will put the presented work into
the broader context of ongoing and planned exhaust code development at
UKAEA and discuss some important aspects of boundary plasma physics on
our minds.

************************
Time: June 23, 2022, 14:00 Belgrade
https://zoom.us/j/95281200484?pwd=N3Jtck5Mc2tyS1Y1MlRudDhCdElpUT09

Meeting ID: 952 8120 0484
Passcode: 927407
**********************

Best regards,
Saša Dujko

--
Dr. Saša Dujko
Research Professor

Phone: +381 11 3713001
Fax: +381 11 3162190

http://mail.ipb.ac.rs/~sasha/
Email: sasa.dujko at ipb.ac.rs

Institute of Physics Belgrade
National Institute of the Republic of Serbia
Pregrevica 118, 11080 Belgrade, Serbia