[institut] [phys4phys] BioPhysLab seminar: Mike Pravica, Thursday, June 13th 2024, 13:00h

Aleksandar Krmpot krmpot at ipb.ac.rs
Wed Jun 12 09:22:47 CEST 2024

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the BioPhysLab seminar, which will be held
on Thursday,  June 13th 2024 at 13:00 in the library reading room "Dr.
Dragan Popović" of the Institute of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

"A novel means to generate pressure and a novel method to enhance x-ray
induced damage of biological materials."

will be given by Prof. dr. Mike Pravica, Professor of Physics,
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Nevada, Las Vegas

The abstract of the talk:

In the first part of this talk, we will discuss a novel method to
generate high pressures using a modified diamond with a laser drilled
hole.  When force is applied to diamond anvils, it  causes the metallic
gasket to plastically deform into the hole and pressurize the sample
similar to the way a piston pressurizes a cylinder. This enables us to
push the sample outside of the gasket plane which will aid experiments
such as x-ray absorption where signal is collected perpendicular to the
exciting beam and thus requires x-rays to penetrate the confining
gasket.  It will also aid the study of NMR at high pressure which is
challenging because the confining metallic gasket chokes RF signals to
and from the sample.
     In the second part of this talk, we will discuss a method to
enhance x-ray induced damage of biological materials by mixing them with
select metals.  Irradiating the mixture with x-rays tuned at the K-edge
and L-edge of select metals we found dramatic enhancement of the damage
rate of uracil via photoelectron production from the metals by the
x-rays.  It is our hope to use this method for selective destruction of
cancerous and other abnormal cells as well as possible denaturing of
viruses.
Sincerely,
--

dr Aleksandar J. Krmpot, naucni savetnik
BioPhysLab

dr. Aleksandar J. Krmpot, research professor
BioPhysLab
Institute of Physics, Pregrevica 118, 11080 Belgrade- Zemun, SERBIA

telefon/phone:  +381 11 3713 012
mobilni/cell:   +381 64 202 65 62
e-posta/e-mail: krmpot at ipb.ac.rs
www.hemmaginero.rs [1]