[hep-th] seminar

Branislav Cvetkovic cbranislav at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Jul 11 12:42:53 CEST 2016

Postovane kolege,

u petak 15. jula u 11 h na Institutu za fiziku u sali 340, Mihailo
Cubrovic sa Univerziteta u Kelnu ce
odrzati predavanje pod naslovom "AdS/CFT correspondence and quantum
phase transitions". Apstrakt vam prosledjujem u nastavku.

Pozdrav Branislav

Abstract

In the framework of AdS/CFT correspondence (gauge/gravity duality) we
study the quantum phase transitions in strongly interacting field
theories. We first focus on fermions at finite density and study the
question:
are there any stable states of fermionic matter, not breaking any
symmetries, which cannot be adiabiatically continued to a Fermi gas? We
identify
the gravity dual of a Fermi surface, and show that the appearance of the
Fermi surface follows the same scenario as order/disorder phase
transitions:
it corresponds to a quasi-normal mode of a Dirac fermion in the bulk.
Then we try to understand if these fermions in CFT are deconfined
("fractionalized")
or confined ("coherent"). We also study the interplay of the
confinement/deconfinement transition and the conventional
symmetry-breaking phase transitions. Finally, if
time permits, we will discuss the thermalization of strongly interacting
systems in contact with a heat bath using the thermo-field dynamics
(TFD)
approach, and show that this process can again be understood as the
breaking of
a gauge symmetry in the AdS gravity dual.

--
Institute of Physics Belgrade
Pregrevica 118, 11080 Belgrade, Serbia