[hep-th] Fwd: Ukraine Seminar in Fundamental Physics (fwd)

Marko Vojinovic vmarko at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Mar 20 20:37:56 CET 2023

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 12:43:59 -0400
From: Djordje Minic <dminic at vt.edu>
To: Marko Vojinovic <vmarko at mail.ipb.ac.rs>
Subject: Fwd: Ukraine Seminar in Fundamental Physics

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michelle Connor <Michelle.Connor at cern.ch>
Date: Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 12:38 PM
Subject: Ukraine Seminar in Fundamental Physics
To: TH-world (list of all Theoreticians) <TH-world at cern.ch>

Dear Colleagues,

On the initiative of Mikhail Shaposhnikov (EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland), Neil Turok (Univ. of Edinburgh, UK and Perimeter Institute, Canada), and Stanislav Vilchinskii (Taras Shevchenko
National Univ. of Kyiv, Ukraine), we are organizing an online seminar series, the Ukraine Seminar in Fundamental Physics.

It is intended to promote scientific interaction with Ukrainian scientists during wartime and to lay the foundation for future scientific collaborations and exchange visits. The seminar
series will highlight the latest developments in fundamental physics, spanning particle physics to gravity and cosmology, and the evolution of our Universe on both the smallest and
largest scales.

Today we are happy to announce the 1st Seminar in the series which will be held

Thursday, March 23, at 4pm CET (3pm GMT, 5pm EET, 10 am EST)

Our first speaker is Prof. Astrid Eichhorn from University of Southern Denmark (Odense, Denmark).

Title of the talk: Connecting quantum gravity and particle physics: why and how?

Abstract: Proposals for quantum gravity theories must be tested by confronting them with observational data. I will argue that this is achievable by exploring the interplay of quantum
gravity with matter, both in and beyond the Standard Model. At the same time, the interplay with quantum gravity may provide us with explanations for some of the mysteries of particle
physics. For instance, free parameters of the Standard Model may become calculable from first principles in a quantum theory of gravity and matter. As a second example, the vast space
of phenomenological models for dark matter may be reduced to just a small handful of possibilities, giving us insight into the nature of dark matter. To illustrate these ideas, I will
introduce the theory of asymptotically safe quantum gravity with matter and review evidence that it could have explanatory power in and beyond the Standard Model.

You can find all information about this seminar series on the web-page:
https://nrfu.org.ua/en/information-resources/ukraine-seminar-in-fundamental-physics/

Looking forward to seeing you at our seminar!

Sincerely,
the Organizers