[institut] Podsecanje: IPB Seminar: Ivana Radosavljevic Evans and John Evans, Monday, 24 July, 12:00

Bratislav Marinkovic marinkov at ipb.ac.rs
Mon Jul 24 10:20:19 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to the IPB seminar, which will be held on
Monday, 24 July 2017 at 12:00 in the library reading room “Dr. Dragan
Popovic" of the Institute of Physics Belgrade. The talk entitled

Large Synchrotron and Neutron Facilities: Access and Functional
Materials Research Examples

will be given by

Ivana Radosavljevic Evans (Department of Chemistry, Durham University,
UK)
www.dur.ac.uk/chemistry/research/academic-groups/i.r.evans/
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=GusqPoIAAAAJ&hl=sr

and

John Evans (Department of Chemistry, Durham University, UK)
www.dur.ac.uk/chemistry/staff/profile/?id=180
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=KZ3yfKkAAAAJ&hl=sr

Abstract of the talk:

Understanding structure-property relationships underpins much modern
research in materials chemistry and physics.  By understanding how
materials function one can often optimise their performance or design
new enhanced materials.  Synchrotron and neutron scattering techniques
often lie at the heart of this research, revealing unique detail on the
structure and dynamics of functional materials.

In this presentation we will highlight areas of our work that have
benefitted from both elastic and inelastic scattering methods.  We will
highlight examples from energy materials (ionic conductors required for
fuel cells), structural materials (for example, negative thermal
expansion materials) and materials with novel electronic and magnetic
properties.  We will also highlight how in-situ and in-operando studies
can help in materials synthesis and discovery.  We'll outline methods we
have developed to optimise the information that can be extracted from
complex datasets.

Access routes to large synchrotron and neutron facilities will be
discussed, if these are of interest to the audience.

Best regards,
Bratislav Marinkovic

--
Dr. Bratislav Marinkovic, MInstP