[institut] Предавање у оквиру Одељења за механику 27. октобар

Odeljenje za mehaniku mehanika at turing.mi.sanu.ac.rs
Sat Oct 23 19:43:48 CEST 2021

Поштоване колегинице и колеге,

Позивамо вас на предавање у оквиру Одељења за механику:

Среда 27. октобар у 18 часова

Теодор Врећица,

Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California San Diego

OBSERVATIONS OF STRONGLY MODULATED SURFACE WAVE AND WAVE BREAKING
STATISTICS AT A SUBMESOSCALE FRONT

Апстракт: Ocean submesoscale currents, with spatial scales on the order of
0.1 to 10 km, are horizontally divergent flows, leading to vertical
motions that are crucial for modulating the fluxes of mass, momentum and
energy between the air and sea, with important implications for biological
and chemical processes. Recently, there has been considerable interest in
the role of surface waves in modifying frontal dynamics. However, there is
a severe lack of observations of these processes, which are needed to
constrain and guide theoretical and numerical models. To this end, we
present novel high resolution airborne remote sensing and in situ
observations of wave-current interaction at a submesoscale front near the
island of O’ahu, Hawaii. We find strong modulation of the surface wave
field across the frontal boundary, including enhanced wave breaking, that
leads to significant spatial inhomogeneities in the wave and wave breaking
statistics. The non-breaking (i.e. Stokes) and breaking induced drifts are
shown to be amplified at the boundary by approximately 50% and a factor of
ten, respectively. The momentum flux from the wave field to the water
column due to wave breaking is enhanced by an order of magnitude at the
front. Using an orthogonal coordinate system that is tangent and normal to
the front, we show that these sharp modulations occur over a distance of
several meters in the direction normal to the front. Finally, we discuss
these observations in the context of improved coupled models of air-sea
interaction at a submesoscale front.

Предавање можете пратити на даљину преко странице:
https://miteam.mi.sanu.ac.rs/asset/YfY2cZTcN3YwGqFjc

Регистрација ѕа учешће на семинару је доступна на следећој страници:
https://miteam.mi.sanu.ac.rs/asset/o9cuDZYqrq7jvFxw8

Архива снимљених предавања се налази на страници:
https://miteam.mi.sanu.ac.rs/asset/j9rAJJvBQHx2zgSSH

Управник Одељења за механику
др Божидар Јовановић

Секретар Одељења за механику